Giving Winter Warmth
This week’s theme has been about making the best of winter by jumping into outdoor fun. I have such fond memories of bundling my little ones into their enormous snowsuits, wrapping their faces in soft scarves, tucking their hands into waterproof mittens, helping them pull on knee-high boots. But what about kids whose families don’t have the financial ability to provide this gear?
Gifts of Winter Warmth
It warms my heart that many people around this great nation of ours are taking action to solve this problem. Close to home, at the Alain Locke Charter School where I chair the board, I have witnessed the work of one generous donor who gathered friends at her home for a party/clothing drive so that our students can be winter warm. A shoutout to all those who engage in similar work in cities and towns across the country.
Here’s a sampling of the good work that is being done:
- Operation Warm provides brand new winter coats to children around the U. S. Started in 2002, they provide 300,000 coats each year to kids in need. And they increase their impact by working closely with other organizations caring holistically for the needs of children. Learn more at http://www.operationwarm.org.
- One Warm Coat is another organization that works hand in hand with others. The focus here is on providing resources and support for people around the country who want to run coat drives of their own. Since 1992, One Warm Coat has jumpstarted more than 20,000 coat drives. Learn more at http://www.onewarmcoat.org.
- Some local coat charities:
- Coats for Kids (DC area) http://www.ccfdc.org/coats-for-kids
- New York Cares (NYC) https://www.newyorkcares.org/coat-drive
- Button and Zipper (Chicago) http://buttonandzipper.com
- ABC news has provided a list of coat charities. Learn more at http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/WarmCoats/charities-delivering-coats-warm-coats-warm-hearts/story?id=12346662
Know other organizations donating winter-wear? Share here!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!